The Monroe College School of Education offers its enrolled students a Bilingual Education Extension program for New York State candidates seeking, or in possession of, initial certification in early childhood or childhood education. The bilingual education certificate extension is required of teachers who work in classes where two languages are used in instruction (bilingual classrooms).
The program is open to early childhood and childhood initial licensed candidates who:
- Work with emergent bilingual students (students officially designated as English Language Learners/ELLs) in bilingual settings but are not currently licensed in bilingual education;
- Work with emergent bilingual students in monolingual English settings and wish to work in bilingual settings; and
- Work with emergent bilingual students in any setting and wish to deepen their ability to meet children’s learning needs through providing home language support.
In addition to seeking or holding a New York State Initial Certificate in Early Childhood or Childhood Education, eligible candidates must be able to demonstrate oral and written proficiency in both English and Spanish.
|Bilingual Education Extension Requirements|
|ED-311||Bilingual Curriculum Development||3|
|ED-361||Assessment and Evaluation for Bilingual Students||3|
|ED-370||Teaching English Language Learners And Multicultural Issues||3|
|or ED-371||Teaching Bilingual Learners|
|ED-381||Bilingual Literacy and Linguistics Practicum||3|
|ED-420||Bilingual Content Instruction (mathematics, Social Studies, Science)||3|
Other requirements include the following non-credit-bearing seminars and workshops required to earn initial New York State certification:
- A three-hour online seminar in Child Abuse Prevention and Identification
- A two-hour seminar in Violence Prevention and Intervention
- Workshops in preparation for New York State Certification exams: Multi-subject Content Specialty Tests in Early Childhood Education, Educating All Students, and the edTPA
- A six-hour seminar in Dignity for all Students (DASA)